The Brandenburg Gate is one of the main symbols of the Berlin city of Germany. Reichstag gate is just on the North of it. During the Cold War, the Reichstag gate was found in West Berlin and the Brandenburg Gate was found in East Berlin. The gate was built between 1788-1791.
The Brandenburg Gate has two columns, six entrances and six exit levels. The columns constitute a total of five routes and citizens can only use two of these routes. The middle route is reserved for rural public and important traffic transits. Quadriga is seen above the Gate. In 1806 Napoleon defeated Prussia in the Jena-Auerstedt battle, disassemble Quadriga and bring it to Paris. Prussia Ernstvon Pfuel defeated Napoleon in 1814, captured Paris and took Quadriga back and bring it back to Berlin; Instead of the Quadriga’s olive branch, the Iron Cross passed.
It had began to use as a symbol by the power of the German Nazi regime. After World War II, the door was damaged but not completely destroyed. It was not bring into use although it was restored by the governments of East and West Berlin until the construction of the Berlin Wall in 1961.
In 1963, US President John F. Kennedy visited the Brandenburg Gate. In 1980, West Berlin mayor Richard Von Weizsäcker said: “If the Brandenburg Gate is closed, it will remain a German issue.” Richard Von Weizsäcker later became German president during the union of East and West Germany. It became the symbol of the unified free Berlin and reopened on December 22, 1989, when Helmut Kohl became the Prime Minister of West Germany.
After extensive restoration, the Brandenburg gate was illuminated by German Erco company for outdoor lighting products. It has been given a new and latest technology lighting systems to the gate, which has become the symbol of the city, so many. In Berlin, Kardorff Ingenieure design office’s lighting designers selected 70 wallwashers for floor mounting, equipped with 35 W metal halide lamps as well as other equipment. Each of these was placed on separate columns. For the 70 W metal halide lamps, two Parscoop projectors were illuminated with five and transition wall surfaces.